Monday, November 7, 2011

Sunday night dinner- "Spaghetti" and meatballs!


Sunday's during football season usually consist of just me until around 7:30 PM when my fiance stumbles back from where ever they were watching football for the day.  After four years I know this- he comes home hungry! So lately I have been trying new, healthy, things out in the kitchen, but decided on an old favorite last night. Spaghetti and meatballs, but it was made my way and not the way you are thinking of.
My fiance loves Italian food, however I am not the biggest fan of it.  And I definitely am not a fan of pasta, at all!
So how does one prepare a spaghetti and meat ball dish that does not contain pasta?
I use Spaghetti Squash. After cutting it in half- length wise- I bake it for 45 minutes (the rim side up) or until you can easily pull the strands with a fork from it.  I also baked cut up squash, zucchini and mushrooms to add into it. The texture and looks of the squash is like spaghetti, but because it is a vegetable and not a carb you are being healthy with this choice! And once you add the sauce- it is delish!
The meatballs are not your every day meat ball either. They are made from turkey meat and I added 1/2 cup of bread crumbs, one egg and some Parmesan cheese.  I then mixed it up and laid out little balls on a baking sheet.  I let those bake for about 25 minutes, turning them over half way.
The sauce was easy as well.  I used this recipe

Homemade Tomato Sauce
– 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or use your garlic press
- 1 14.5-oz can petite diced tomatoes
-1 14.5-oz can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes (you can use 2 cans of diced tomatoes if you  like a chunkier sauce)
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- Fresh basil cut up to your liking
-Oregano, Parsley and whatever other spice you like

-Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions. Cook until soft, a few minutes. Add garlic and saute for about a minute. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, salt, pepper, basil and different spices. Stir. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to the point where the sauce still simmers. Simmer for 15-20 minutes- continue stirring while it is simmering.
(This recipe has been modified from its original which can be found at- http://thisweekfordinner.com/2010/05/20/simple-homemade-tomato-sauce/).

This is not just an easy meal it is a healthy way of eating Italian favorites!  You are suppose to consume about 3-5 vegetables a day, so if most of your meal is made out of vegetables you will have met your daily dietary standards!

I hope you try this out and hey, who knows you may come to like this more than pasta! My fiance who is a meat and pasta eater even liked it, so you might too!

Stay healthy and warm this fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment