Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Get out of bed and DO that workout!

The alarm clock went off at 6 o’clock this morning, and I rolled over to shut it off without even opening my eyes. How many times have you done this? If you're anything like me, this is probably a daily habit. But here’s why it is a little sad for me to do this- I am not waking up early to go to work. I am waking up early to go running.

I love starting my day off pounding my feet on the pavement; the sound of my running shoes against the blacktop. My iPod pumping a good song in my ears. It is better for you to exercise earlier in the day rather than later in the day. Not just mentally but physically, as it will "rev" up your metabolism for the rest of the day to burn more calories, and to increase your energy level. It also gives you time to think about the day ahead of you and even to go back and think about the day before. It is "your" time to think about whatever you want. Why would you want to give that up?
Trust me, I know - getting out of bed and putting those sneakers on is not fun when that bed is nice and comfy!

Once you begin a routine your body will get used to it! It takes time, but it will happen. Right now, your body is probably used to you sleeping until a certain time and getting up to get ready for work. To begin the day with your workout, you will have to re-train your body. This sounds more complicated then it is but once you begin those early morning workouts, your body will thank you for waking it up so early!

So, set that alarm clock for a reasonable time. Don't set it for 5 AM knowing that you will never wake up that early. I set it for 6 AM with the intention to get up at that time, however I often do not. But I also know that I gave myself time just in case I wanted to sleep for an extra fifteen minutes. So, I wake up at 6:15 AM instead. Those 15 minutes sure do wonders!

The next step is to put those sneakers on, which can be the hardest part for some people. When I get out of bed I put on the clothing that I am going running in and tie up my sneakers fast. I do not even think about it anymore. Sometimes a new pair of sneakers helps with this.  I was getting bored a few weeks ago on my runs, and my sneakers were just so old that I ordered a new, fun pair of PUMA Faas 550.  Once they arrived I felt like a kid on Christmas day and could not wait to go out for a run in a new pair of "bouncy" sneakers. 
Then I go to the bathroom or to the kitchen for a glass of water. Those sneakers must be on my feet when I leave the bedroom that way there is NO excuse for me not to get my butt outside! Once the sneakers are on, it is much easier to finish the process of a morning workout and that is simply, by doing it. Whether you are getting in your car to go to the gym or going outside for a run. Start stretching in the house on your way out the door. This will start to get the blood pumping making you ready to go!

Because exercising gets the endorphins flowing, when you finish, you are relaxed and in a good mood afterwards- so why not do it in the morning and be in a good mood for the rest of the day? Your body will be full of energy and you will be ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment